Over the last four or five months since I started contributing the occasional picture to 500 pixels I have become a regular voter and commenter (I don't think that is actually a word) on 500 pixels. But I do have some rules:
- I don't vote for 'postcard style' pictures.
- I don't vote for sunset/sunrise pictures, unless they have something else in them as the primary object (following the PST rule).
- I don't vote for close-up pictures of flowers, which seems to be about 10 percent of the pictures submitted.
- I don't vote for close-up picture of bugs, which accounts for another 10 percent of the pictures posted.
- I rarely vote for pictures of naked or semi-naked ladies unless there is something scroll-stoppingly (another non-word) good about the shot—which is generally not the case.
- I don't vote for pictures that are not full screen when viewed. If the person posting the picture cannot be bothered with making the picture full-screen when they post it then I really don't see why I should vote for it.
- I rarely, almost never, vote for pictures where the photographer could not be bothered giving the picture a name. Seriously, if you are going to post your pictures(s) to a site like 500 pixels and not bother to give them a name then I figure you don't deserve a vote. It especially annoys me when people upload pictures to 500 pixels and they still have the sequence number assigned by the camera on them (e.g., DSC_004412).
- I don't vote for pictures that are blurred or out-of-focus where this is obviously not an artistic attribute of the picture. Again, if you are posting pictures to a site like 500 pixels then the subject should be in focus.
- I tend not to vote for pictures where the photographer has not revealed the camera used to take the picture.
- I tend not to vote for pictures taken with a smartphone camera. But it depends on the subject, whether the picture is in focus, colour balance, and if it has been cropped well for posting to a site like 500 pixels—which is almost never the case with smartphone pictures.
Just my thoughts.