Bugger! Overheated the Honey this Morning

As the days get colder (winter is approaching for us down here in Australia) I find I need to give the honey squirter bottle thingy a quick 5 seconds in the microwave so the honey comes out more easily. Nothing worse than having to wait and wait and wait for the honey to come down the bottle so you can put some on your Weet-Bix cereal.

I find 5 seconds is about perfect—so as I swing into my well-practiced ‘breakfast getting’ ritual I put the honey squirter bottle thingy in the microwave and give it 5 seconds, while I zoom over and get the milk, a bowl, a spoon, and the box of Weet-Bix.

This morning my breakfast routine of many years went off the rails.

MeltedHoneyTube

I am not sure how long I actually dialled up on the microwave. I have done it so many times that I do it without even thinking what I am doing. But by the time my brain said “that honey should really have had its 5 seconds by now” I think it had been getting zapped for about 20 to 25 seconds. Anyway, whatever time it got was too long. Those microwave’s are not that tolerant of a 5x error in the timing.

Bugger!

When I took the bottle out the honey was bubbling up like lava from a volcano and you can see from the snaps I took how the container was affected.

I wasn’t even game to use the honey after it cooled down in case: (a) the super-heated plastic had released some deadly gas into the honey; or (b) the bubbling honey had undergone some sinister molecular re-arrangement after being overheated.

BarryMark