Just on ABC 24 News they just said that in Australia this year so far someone was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes every five minutes!
That’s 12 per hour. That is 288 per day; 1,240 per month.
HSD (holy snapping duckshit).
You are 800 times more likely in any given week to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes than you are to win first division Saturday lotto!!
HSD*2 (double holy snapping duckshit).
The causes of type 2 diabetes are interesting. Back when I was diagnosed some three years ago now (I have been pricking my fingers four times a day for three years—no wonder I gave up the guitar) I did a bit of research on the causes. There are a lot of theories about the causes of type 2 diabetes including:
- Being overweight (most likely).
- Insufficient exercise (likely, and sort of linked to #1).
- Not eating enough salt over a long term (possible).
- Consumption of artificial sweeteners and in particular aspartame-based sweeteners (limited evidence).
- Consumption of large amounts of sugar even if you are not overweight [#1] and do get sufficient exercise [#2] (likely).
- Alcoholic drinks and especially abuse of high proof spirits (possible).
- Prescribed medications such as beta blockers and statins (likely).
I am sure there are many more but these are some that I researched.